Wednesday, July 21, 2010

JDeveloper 11g and encodings (Damned Default)

After fresh instalation JDeveloper will produce new JSPX pages that may look like this.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='windows-1252'?>
< contentType="text/html;charset=windows-1252"/>

This 1252 seems to me like "unwanted legacy".

Use to select an encoding value. The default is CP1252.
Once you have selected a value, all new files will be created with the new encoding, and the new encoding will be used to open and save files without encoding tags.
Note that XML files and JSP 2.0 documents (XML compliant files)
must include an appropriate XML encoding declaration on a per-file basis.
For details refer to the W3C XML specification.
You can expand the encodings
in this list by appending new
encoding definitions to the encodings.xml file, found in the jdev/bin directory. This XML file contains a list of mappings from Sun JDK to IANA encoding names.
Note that files already open in JDeveloper will not be opened with the new encoding. To change the encoding used to read open files, close the files and reopen them after changing the encoding value here. Also note that files with encoding tags will always be opened and saved using the specified tags, and not JDeveloper's encoding.

This is tricky, half true, or buggy ...
I have tried to make a new page in an existing project and again the 1252.
Then I have tried new page in different project and UTF-8.

There are two more "Character Encoding" (at least) in Project Preferences.
XML.encoding and JSP.charset in JSF pages seems to be controlled by
Project Preferences/Compiler/JSP.

So If you have already created projects change those, and
manualy fix text in files and if you have non ascii markup in the text, resave all files as UTF-8 as well ;-))

No comments:

Post a Comment